The impact of the Australian bushfires has been absolutely devastating, with the tragic loss of lives of residents, firefighters, volunteers and wildlife, as well as homes, businesses, farms, and community infrastructure.
On a positive note, the outpouring of help from local communities and beyond has been heartwarming. Here in New York, many Australians are asking “what can we do to help?”. To date, more than 60 fundraising events and donation drives have been set up by individuals and businesses in New York and in neighboring New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Given our expansive community, AWNY has shared a list of fundraiser events on our Facebook page, to help expats help our mates, furry friends and firefighters back in Australia.
Fundraising events include coffee, food and drinks, arts and crafts, fitness and sports, and music. The events are supporting a wide variety of charity organizations, who are collecting donations for people and wildlife affected by the Australian bushfires.
How New Yorkers can help people & animals affected by Australian bushfires:
- Go along to a fundraising event in New York, and bring your mates with you.
- Share the list of fundraising events with your network.
- Add any new fundraising events to the list by commenting on the Facebook post.
- Donate directly to the Australian Bushfire Relief Fund, established by the American Australian Association, of which AWNY is a program. The Fund that will enable 100% of donations from the United States to be directed to the Australian Red Cross’ Fire Response.
- Donate directly to relief efforts.
Here are bushfire fundraisers, coming up in Feb:
- Refer to the fundraiser event list for more details.