I have a few things for you this month: my tips on how to cope with being stuck inside for days on end with sick kids, a recap of our Women of Letters Event and some details about our last event for the year, the upcoming AWNY Mums’ Christmas Dinner.
I’ve been at the doctor’s office weekly, sometimes twice weekly for the last four weeks. My kids and I have had colds on and off since school started in September. With nearly 5 years’ practice, I feel like I have become skilled at entertaining sick toddlers as well as keeping myself sane. So here are my top tips!
- Preplanning: Since my eldest was about 6 months old, I’ve always put away a box of rainy day toys, usually the really noisy ones that drive you nuts but your children love. It means you can sit and have a cup of tea or get something done whilst they play with the “new” toys.
- Baking: It can make such a mess, especially the flour but it takes a lot of time to measure, mix, bake and eat. It also helps that my two children love vacuuming!
- Books for ideas: I’ve read a few different ones but the best book I have found is “150 Screen Free Activities for Kids”. It is full of ideas that keep children entertained for a decent period of time and I can generally find the ingredients for the more popular slimes in the house.
- Facetime: The time difference is perfect at the moment for a chat with the grandparents in the afternoons. It keeps all three of us occupied for at least an hour. It is so nice to have an adult conversation as well!
- Fresh air: I also scope out quiet parks/play spaces for outside time when they start to feel better but are not quite ready for general population. Our favourites are the DeWitt Clinton Park on 53rd and West End as well as the train near the river in Riverside Park South at about 61st.
Although sickness does lead to more time at home, it is a fantastic time of the year to be out and about in the city. For festive tips, have a read of a recent post by AWNY Mum, Nakia Gordon on enjoying the festive spirit with children.
Women of Letters
Our event for November was a group visit to “Women of Letters” at the City Winery. Women of Letters is a monthly literary salon which aims to revive the lost art of letter writing. I have to admit to being an addict and haven’t missed a show in the two years since I have lived in New York City. We had a great turn out of Aussies and enjoyed some inspiring letters on the theme of a “Letter to my Creation”. The next Women of Letters is in January 2018, check the City Winery website for more details.
AWNY Mums’ Christmas Party
Finally this month, Amanda has found us an amazing deal at new Restaurant Coarse NYC in the West Village. For $49 (plus tax and tips) we will be treated to a 3-4 course meal with wine pairings! RSVP via the event on the Mums and Dads Facebook page or by emailing AWNY.
Enjoy all that the silly season has to offer and we hope to see you at the Christmas party!
Helen and Amanda